Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Oh yeah, on another note that I just remebered:
I will never again purchase a new Compact Disc, Cassette, DVD, or whatever other format they throw out, from a major label recording company, unless these frivilous lawsuits against file sharing stop. Ya wanna know who should be sued is the RIAA, for defamation of character, for false and illegal representation of a product (CD's) and for unjust and illegal harassment. Bottom line in this story, and multi-billion dollar industry who thinks it's appropriate to extort two-thousand dollars from a 12 year old girl, and her family is not worthy of my or anyone elses hard earned cash for their substandard product anyway. In my life I have personally purchased well over 1000 cd's, and have in my collection close to 2000 complete sound recordings on various formats including LP, Cassette, 8-Track. In weighted price value, It could easily be argued that i have between 20-40 thousand dollars wrapped up in music products. So I have been a regular and good customer of the music industry for the past 30 years of my life. However, it has come to the point where I can no longer support the business practices of the giant conglomerates who don't really care anymore about music, rather they just care about money. So as I have stated, I am boycotting all major label products until they reverse their position on actively pursuing all persons who share files. I personally do not actively share files on Kazaa, or whatever other services you can think of. I do have a few posted on my website, which hopefully will not cause any stir, and rather are meant to influence record sales. I think though, with this stand that I am taking, I will no longer provide any samples of music from major label artists that is currently in print. Rarities, and unreleased songs will continue to be featured, as well as independent label artists.
When people share whole albums, or burn bootleg copies of commercially availible material for selling purposes, I believe that is wrong. But to threaten charges of up to $750 per song is not only ridiculous, it has no basis in reality. Maybe the RIAA should examine it's altered sense of reality, start producing music people actually want to buy, and stop threatening their customers, otherwise they may truly have a crisis on their hands.
Anyone wishing to join my boycott please e-mail me and I will include your name, or alias on my webpage.
Comments and questions should be e-mailed to me.

No comments: